VS265: Homework assignments
Students are encouraged to work in groups, but turn in assignments individually, listing the group members they worked with.
Submission instructions: Only paper copies of the homework will be accepted. Solutions are due at the start of the class. Please place them on the speaker's desk at the front of the class.
Student version of Matlab ($50) may be obtained here.
There is an excellent guide to Matlab by Kevin Murphy on the web: http://code.google.com/p/yagtom/
Also, a great starting point for all scientific python is using Anaconda 
Lab #1, due Tuesday, September 16 at beginning of class
Lab #2, due Tuesday, September 23 at beginning of class
For Python you can use apples-oranges.npz
In : import numpy as np In : d = np.load('apples-oranges.npz') In : d.keys() Out: ['oranges2', 'apples2', 'apples', 'oranges']
Lab #3, due Tuesday, October 21 at beginning of class
Matlab code are as separate files below.
For Python you can use
- Solution This is a dropbox folder that we have setup. It has both a pdf write up and scripts. Please feel free to explore them
Lab #4, due October 9th at beginning fo class
Matlab code and data for homework
- hopnet.py - python version of the above code as one file (with run, genpat, and corrupt methods)
p = np.load('patterns.npz') face,hi,X = p['face'], p['hi'], p['X']
# if you load patterns.mat, use: p = scipy.io.loadmat("patterns.mat") face,hi,X = [p[k].reshape(10,10).T.reshape(100,1) for k in 'face','hi','X'] # line above converts Fortran to C ordering
Lab #5, due Thursday, Oct 30 at beginning of class
- foldiak scripts (zip)
- sparsenet scripts (zip)
- You will also need the following set of whitened natural movie images: IMAGES.mat
Lab #6, due Thursday, Nov. 6 at beginning of class
Lab #7, due Tuesday, Nov. 25 at beginning of class
Lab #8, due Tuesday, Dec. 2 at beginning of class
- scribble_v6.mat (version 6)
- boltz.py - python version of the above code with solution.