VS265: Reading Fall2012
- Dreyfus, H.L. and Dreyfus, S.E. Making a Mind vs. Modeling the Brain: Artificial Intelligence Back at a Branchpoint. Daedalus, Winter 1988.
- Bell, A.J. Levels and loops: the future of artificial intelligence and neuroscience. Phil Trans: Bio Sci. 354:2013--2020 (1999) here or here
- 1973 Lighthill debate on future of AI
- Mead, C. Chapter 1: Introduction and Chapter 4: Neurons from Analog VLSI and Neural Systems, Addison-Wesley, 1989.
- Linear neuron models
- Linear time-invariant systems and convolution
- Simulating differential equations
- Carandini M, Heeger D (1994) Summation and division by neurons in primate visual cortex. Science, 264: 1333-1336.
- Land, MF and Fernald, RD. The Evolution of Eyes, Ann Revs Neuro, 1992.
- Zhang K, Sejnowski TJ (2000) A universal scaling law between gray matter and white matter of cerebral cortex. PNAS, 97: 5621–5626.
- Jordan, M.I. An Introduction to Linear Algebra in Parallel Distributed Processing in McClelland and Rumelhart, Parallel Distributed Processing, MIT Press, 1985.
- Linear neuron models
- Linear algebra primer
- Handout on supervised learning in single-stage feedforward networks
- Handout on supervised learning in multi-layer feedforward networks - "backpropagation"
- Y. LeCun, L. Bottou, G. Orr, and K. Muller (1998) "Efficient BackProp," in Neural Networks: Tricks of the trade, (G. Orr and Muller K., eds.).
- NetTalk demo
- Handout: Hebbian learning and PCA
- HKP Chapters 8 and 9
- PDP Chapter 9 (full text of Michael Jordan's tutorial on linear algebra, including section on eigenvectors)
- Atick, Redlich. What does the retina know about natural scenes?, Neural Computation, 1992.
- Dan, Atick, Reid. Efficient Coding of Natural Scenes in the Lateral Geniculate Nucleus: Experimental Test of a Computational Theory, J Neuroscience, 1996.
- Barlow, HB. Single units and sensation: A neuron doctrine for perceptual psychology? Perception, volume 1, pp. 371 -394 (1972)
- Foldiak, P. Forming sparse representations by local anti-Hebbian learning. Biol. Cybern. 64, 165-170 (1990).
- Olshausen BA, Field DJ. Emergence of simple-cell receptive field properties by learning a sparse code for natural images, Nature, 381: 607-609. (1996)
- Rozell, Johnson, Baraniuk, Olshausen. Sparse Coding via Thresholding and Local Competition in Neural Circuits, Neural Computation 20, 2526–2563 (2008).
- Simoncelli, Olshausen. Natural Image Statistics and Neural Representation, Annu. Rev. Neurosci. 2001. 24:1193–216.
- van Hateren & Ruderman Independent component analysis of natural image sequences, Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B (1998) 265. (blocked sparse coding/ICA of video)
- Olshausen BA Sparse coding of time-varying natural images, ICIP 2003. (convolution sparse coding of video)
- Lewicki MS Efficient coding of natural sounds, Nature Neuroscience, 5 (4): 356-363, 2002. (blocked sparse coding/ICA of sound)
- Smith E, Lewicki MS. Efficient auditory coding, Nature Vol 439 (2006). (convolution sparse coding of sound)
- Ocular dominance column development: Analysis and simulation by Miller, Keller and Stryker.
- A dimension reduction framework for understanding cortical maps by R. Durbin and G. Mitchison.
- The cortical column: a structure without a function by Jonathan C. Horton and Daniel L. Adams
Here are some additional links to papers mentioned in lecture. Optional reading:
- Gary Blasdel, Orientation selectivity, preference, and continuity in monkey striate cortex., J Neurosci, 1992. Another source of many of nice images are in the galleries on Amiram Grinvald's site: 
- From Clay Reid's lab, Functional imaging with cellular resolution reveals precise micro-architecture in visual cortex. Make sure you look at the supplementary material and videos on their web site (seems partly broken) .
- A Global Geometric Framework for Nonlinear Dimensionality Reduction , Tenenbaum et al., Science 2000.
- Nonlinear Dimensionality Reduction by Locally Linear Embedding, Roweis and Saul, Science 2000.
- On the Local Behavior of Spaces of Natural Images, Carlsson et al., Int J Comput Vis (2008) 76: 1–12.
- Adaptation to natural facial categories, Michael A. Webster, Daniel Kaping, Yoko Mizokami & Paul Duhamel, Nature, 2004.
- Prototype-referenced shape encoding revealed by high-level aftereffects, David A. Leopold, Alice J. O’Toole, Thomas Vetter and Volker Blanz, Nature, 2001.
- A Morphable Model For The Synthesis Of 3D Faces, Blanz & Vetter 1999.
- Matthew B. Thompson's web page on flashed face distortion effect
- Handout on attractor neural networks
- original Hopfield (1982) paper
- Hopfield (1984) paper
- Marr-Poggio stereo algorithm paper
- Kechen Zhang paper on bump circuits
- Olshausen, Anderson & Van Essen, dynamic routing circuit model
- HKP Chapters 2 and 3
Chris Hillar guest lecture:
- Efficient and Optimal Binary Hopfield Associative Memory Storage Using Minimum Probability Flow
- Robust exponential binary pattern storage in Little-Hopfield networks
- NP-Hard Discrete Quadratic Optimization going into image segmentation (Shi, Malik 2000)
- A probability primer
- Bayesian probability theory and generative models
- Mixture of Gaussians model
- T.J. Loredo, From Laplace to supernova SN1987A: Bayesian inference in astrophysics
- HKP Chapter 7, section 7.1 (Boltzmann machines)
Application to neural data analysis:
- E. Schneidman, M.J. Berry, R. Segev and W. Bialek,Weak pairwise correlations imply strongly correlated network states in a neural population, Nature 4400 (7087) (2006), pp. 1007-1012.
- J. Shlens, G.D. Field, J.L. Gauthier, M.I. Grivich, D. Petrusca, A. Sher, A.M. Litke and E.J. Chichilnisky, The structure of multi-neuron firing patterns in primate retina, J Neurosci 260 (32) (2006), pp. 8254-8266.
- Information theory primer
- Sparse coding and ICA handout
- Jascha Sohl-Dickstein, Natural gradients made quick and dirty
- Jascha Sohl-Dickstein, Natural gradient cookbook
- Bell & Sejnowski, An Information-Maximization Approach to Blind Separation and Blind Deconvolution, Neural Comp, 1995.
- Karklin & Simoncelli, [Efficient coding of natural images with a population of noisy Linear-Nonlinear neurons, NIPS 2011.
- Hyvarinen, Hoyer, Inki, Topographic Independent Component Analysis, Neural Comp, 2001.
- Karklin & Lewicki paper on Learning Higher-Order Structure in Natural Images, Network 2003.
- Shao & Cottrell paper on Recursive ICA, NIPS 2006.