VS298 (Fall 06): Suggested projects
- NETtalk. Train a multi-layer perceptron to convert text to speech. You can get Sejnowski & Rosenberg's original paper and the data they used here. (You will need a DECtalk speech synthesizer to play the phonemes - you can probably pick up a used one online.)
- Recognition of handwritten digits. Train a MLP to classify handwritten digits 0-9. You can get some training data here. You may wish to follow the convolutional network methodology of Yann LeCun (try the simpler, earlier model), or invent your own method.
- Foldiak network
- Cortical maps
- Feedforward vs. Recurrent weights in networks
- Restricted Boltzmann machines
- Integrate-and-fire model neuron